The Kingston is a bit of a clash between styles – it’s both tropical and royal in one sip. Mostly a rum-based drink, the Kingston is jazzed up with a bit of gin, which adds some flavor, which works pretty well. It certainly drys out a drink that would be pretty sweet based on ingredients alone. Try out the Kingston and let me know what you think:
- combine the following in a shaker:
- 1 1/2 oz Jamaican rum (author Stuart Walton says, “it would be inappropriate to use rum for any other location.”)
- 3/4 oz gin
- juice of half a lime (which is about 1/2-3/4 oz)
- 1/4 oz grenadine (I used Jack Rudy)
- fill with ice and shake well
- strain into a chilled cocktail glass and garnish with a lime wedge
It’s nice how gin and rum play well
I like them together in the Bacardi Special (a Bacardi cocktail with a little gin) .
And it is also nice how they can replace each other in cocktails.